Saturday, December 02, 2006

Twinkie books galore

It was quite the twinkie month what with the limited concentration skills and all.

71. The Red Scream - Mary Willis Walker. A desperate grab from the hospital library Free pile so I would have something to read at lunch. All I really remember is that I'm beginning to dislike overly quirky heroines.

72.The Game - Laurie R. King. Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes. I gave up trying to read Kim as a precursor to this one (I made it halfway through and completely lost interest) but I understood it well enough.

73. Locked Rooms - Laurie R. King. Another Mary Russell. I think this is the last one in paperback so I should be off this kick for a while. Now I just want Russell and Holmes to have a little time to themselves. The last 5 or so books have happened back to back and even I'm getting tired.

74. The Seven-Per-Cent-Solution - John H. Watson edited by Nicholas Meyer. Covering Holmes addiction to a 7% solution of cocaine and the trip to Vienna to see Sigmund Freud to get treated for it. I loved this book as a teenager, not so much this time around. But I think it's the last Holmes book in the house.

75. Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier - December's book club book. It was the first modern romantic suspense novel and maybe when it first came out it was original but it seemed dated and cliched by this point. It was ok but not worth all the hype I'd heard.

76. Every Secret Thing - Laura Lippman. I may have read this earlier this year. I know I read it before, just not sure where. It was good but a little rushed at the end and I felt like there were plotlines left hanging.

77. To the Power of Three - Laura Lippman. I loved this one right up until the end and then I didn't like it much at all. The ending felt odd, like she had a different one and changed it at the last minute or something.

78. Mary Mary - James Patterson. An Alex Cross mystery. I really like the first few Alex Cross books but too much stuff has happened to him and his family by this point. It was a quick read but required a big suspension of disbelief.

79. In a Sunburned Country - Bill Bryson. I love Bryson's travel books. They're hysterically funny and this one made me want to move to Australia even though there are more animals there that can kill you in horrible ways than in any other place in the world ( 5 of the 10 most poisonous snakes and 5 of the most lethal of their type of creatures - box jellyfish, funnel web spider, blue-ringed octopus, paralysis tick and stonefish. And sharks and saltwater crocodiles).

I need to put the book selection list together for January's book club. Any suggestions? We'll read just about anything.

And more importantly, do you think I can break 100 books before December 31? Maybe if I start picking smaller books...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It turns out Bryson's travel books can be educational too. Last weekend, it was only after reading his comments on hotels in France that I figured out that the small switch outside room doors in our hotel (in Germany) turned on the hall lights. Of course, this was only after we'd been stumbling down a dark hall to our room for a day.