Thursday, April 17, 2008

In which I am covered in salad dressing and despair

As Anonymous so aptly noted in the comments of my last post, I've been gone for a while now. I've been in a bit of a rough patch, I'm hanging on by a seemingly invisible thread at work and it's just sapping my energy to do much else that requires higher brain function.

Since we last spoke I:

  • did get an iPod, it's cute and green
  • almost finished a very large, oddly colored afghan
  • made a Clapotis for my Mom's birthday
  • went to Florida to visit my parents and see the new house they bought there
  • helped with one day-long conference with a speaker that was determined not to exist (kids and drugs and no one want to speak about it? Seriously?)
  • was a major player in a day-long conference that no one wanted to sponsor (hospitals saying they're sorry for f'ing up apparently strikes fear in the heart of drug companies and lawyers)
  • ate $40 crab cakes (on someone else's dime)
  • inhaled a metric crapload of mohair fiber
  • watched a lot of dvr'd tv
  • committed myself to spend a weekend sticking mailing labels on 8,000 brochures for yet another day-long conference for which I am almost solely responsible
  • took approximately 3 billion pictures of manatees
  • did some serious research into non-pharmaceutical treatments for depression and came to no firm conclusion on validity and safety
  • invited Mel to come visit and go to Maryland Sheep and Wool with me (p.s. She accepted!)
  • had my right eye swell shut for 24-hours due to a medication reaction (and, yes, it was a workday and, yes, I did go to work. For I am a goofus)
  • spent too much time feeling sorry for myself about workload, lack of energy and assorted life obstacles
  • went to the Homespun Yarn Party with Eva and bought pretty yarn
  • avoided turning on my home computer with a zeal matched only by my desire to eat my weight in Tastykakes

and, most notably:

  • managed to cover myself from bangs to belt in Italian dressing, thanks to an exploding squeeze bottle at the weekly Grand Rounds I run. In front of my boss. And others.
So, that's what I've been up to. That and reading.

12. The End of the Alphabet - CS Richardson. Arizona book club.
13. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctor and the Collision of Two Cultures - Anne Fadiman. Hospital book club.
14. Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen. Still an excellent book.
15. Serenity Found: more unauthorized essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe - edited by Jane Espenson. Such a good TV show I'm forced to read about it.
16. The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield. Hospital book club.
17. The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower VII - Stephen King.
18. Off Ramp: Adventures and Heartache in the American Elsewhere - Hank Stuever. Highly recommended, especially for suburb dwellers like me.
19. Back on Blossom Street - Debbie Macomber.
20. Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs. Arizona book club. Didn't really care for it. Neither did the book club.
21. Death du jour - Kathy Reichs. But that didn't stop me from reading her second book. However the second book has stopped me from reading her third.

Pictures when my brain starts up again.


Stephanie said...

oh goodness. Sorry to hear life is so crazy. Hope things calm down soon and that you and Mel have a blast at MDS&W!

Mel said...

Oh no, not the dreaded Salad dressing explosion. I hate when that happens. Hang in there, I bet a lull is coming 'round the bend. But not until after we shear our way through the county fairgrounds!

noricum said...


dichroic said...

You might like Anne Fadiman's other two books, which are completely difference from The Spirit Catches You. They are Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader and At Large and at Small, and they are essays about books, book people, and reading. And they're wonderful.

Anonymous said...

We want manatee pictures!

TheWhiteSeal said...

I just found your blog, has been a great read! Just thought it may interest you to know, a while back i managed to find a british labels company who printed me some mailing labels for a really low price. If interested then it may be worth taking a look at their website.