Monday, March 26, 2007


Now, I've done it. Somehow, I haven't posted in over a month. I have no good excuse, just my usual iffy ones. But at least I've been busy.

I finally finished the heart I promised Ed in Gak. And I finished it while in DC so I didn't take a picture. It looks like a heart, like this only smaller and less flowery.

I read a whole bunch of books.

I did schoolwork and am beginning to feel very knowledgeable in the fields of government documents and medical informatics. Even though I still can't get a good definition of informatics to come out of my mouth on the first attempt. It has to do with computers and medicine and databases and digital pictures and basically everything in medicine now that wasn't possible 100 years ago. Sort of. I can give you some websites if you're interested.

I got another cold. And then another one. Those two events brought my sick time since October to approximately 99% of my existence. That's a lot of mucus, people. I started ingesting 1000 mgs of vitamin C everyday and I may have regained a little bit of an immune system. I managed not to get ill during the trip to DC but I was completely physically wiped out by the end of it and need two days to recuperate. My energy reserves are low.

To which end I bought an exercise ball. I haven't done much besides sitting on it and purposefully wobbling. But there's a reason for that.

I may have developed bilateral bicipital tendonitis. Which basically means I racked up my shoulders somehow. Really, it's kind of a mystery. I haven't fallen or gone "wow, that was a dumb thing to do" or remember hollering in pain in the recent past. They just started hurting. The left one more than the right but they are both icky. They'd been hurting on and off, mostly on, for about a month and I finally realize I couldn't wash my back, hook a bra, put on a coat or sleep without some pain, ranging from "ouchie" to "HEY! QUIT IT!" The phrase "go ahead, twist my arm" developed a much more sinister affect. I saw the doc and get evaluated by a physical therapist this coming Friday. We'll see where it goes from there. Right now I'm controlling it with Aleve but the pain is still there, lurking, waiting for me to do something silly like hold the phone in my left hand for greater than 90 seconds.

Don't worry, I can still knit. I'm being careful to support the project so it's not dragging down my arms and I'm taking lots of breaks. It doesn't hurt while knitting so I don't know if it's related or not. Hopefully not.

There's also a tiny issue with my wrists but we're sort of ignoring that for the time-being.

I'd heard the rumors that getting old sucks...apparently my body wanted to collect some more evidence on the subject.

Current projects:
an Einstein Coat in recycled silk. I'm almost done the bottom section.

Ok, that's really the only big one right now. I've got a hankering to wear the coat to graduation (one month, can you dig it?) so I'm focusing on it which will guarantees I won't finish or there with be a heatwave in Pittsburgh on April 29th. Or the dress I eventually buy will be black and therefore capable of visibly collecting every piece of recycled lint that appears. And trust me, the silk makes a lot of lint/fibers/floaty things.

Also, the coat may weight 37 pounds and be physically impossible to wear for longer than 2 minutes at a pop. This is not a light garment.

I did make a ball for Avi. And I think I even remembered to take a photo. Which I will post at some point.

Ok, this is getting a bit lengthy. One more piece of news and I'll let you guys go. I think I mentioned an associate fellowship position I was applying for at the National Library of Medicine? Well, I got an interview. They flew me to DC and put me up in a hotel and asked me questions for 6 hours in this building. In my opinion, it went pretty well and I only had one major brain freeze (that I noticed). They'll be making their decision by the end of April and we'll just have to wait and see how significantly my life will be changing then.

Well, that's it for now. I promise I'll update more frequently. Or at least plan to update. Or think about planning. Or something.

PS: Lucy ate a box of muffin mix last week. Just so you weren't lulled into thinking she was inactive during this blogless period.


Creative Genius? said...

and I have been slow with my thank you notes (sorry I started them but can't seem to address them)...


Avi LOVES his ball... he thinks it's quite tasty! We roll it to him and he eats it... doesn't make for a fun game of catch for us - but he has a blast with it! So thank you!!!!!

PS Blue likes it too -- but not too much or it would be gone like the muffin mix!

Lolly said...

Great news about the interview! Sorry our paths didn't cross while you were in my neighborhood - literally! I am just down the street!
I hope you feel better soon!

noricum said...

Hello again! I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. *hugs*