Sunday, September 23, 2007

Books

The reading has been surprisingly slow. I did finish the last Potters and then I kind of floundered about trying to decide what to read. In collecting the 100 books for the garage sale/Bookmans/donation action I found a lot of books I wanted to re-read and an astonishing number of books that I hadn't actually read yet. I started a number of them but just wasn't in the mood to commit myself. I am the epitome of too many books, not enough time (and not enough concentration skills, presently).

I did manage to finish a few:

69. Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century - Betsy Israel. There have been a lot of us spinsters in the last 100 years. We definitely have it better now that back then. But they did have better hats.

70. Cabinet of Curiosities - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I picked this up somewhere, for free I think. For the first half I was really into it and planning on seeking out more from the pair. By the end I was glad I hadn't paid anything for it. I'm not sure what exactly happened but it ended up in the donation pile.

71. To Ride Pegasus - Anne McCaffery. I really like this author but this one is a bit dated (1970's I think) and the subservient wifey vibe didn't sit too well. The Pern books are still the best.

72. The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls. September's book club. I probably wouldn't of read this on my own but it was interesting. It really makes you appreciate your stable parents.

73. Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman. I'd heard so much about this book I was expecting great things. It wasn't bad but once again I was reminded of Tom Robbins and, while enjoyable, it didn't rock my world.

I think I need to figure out who influenced Tom Robbins. He's my go-to myth/philosophy sidetrack writer example and I'm sure he didn't originate the idea.

Currently reading: Lisey's Story by Stephen King. If it wasn't King I would have given up long before my current halfway point. I'm very confused and I'm not even sure I'm enjoying it. It's quite possible King may be back on The Drugs.

No comments: