Sunday, September 23, 2007

Yet another hat

I was a bit stymied about what to get/make Kiki for her birthday. The woman is a prolific, creative and quick knitter and between her, her knitty husband and two knitty kids it's not like they're lacking in knitwear of any type.

So I did an end run around the knitting and crocheted something.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The Soft Brim Casual Hat. From the Woman's Day 1947 Crochet Annual. Directed from the always awesome Crochet Pattern Central.

Yarn - Size 10 cotton thread, doubled. Ecru and Black.
Hook - F

I only made a few modifications. Size 10 thread instead of 5 and an F instead of a 1 hook because I was working from the stash. I even used the same colors as the pattern. I might be getting soft in my old age.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I did spiral the increases so the brim didn't have pointy parts but looking at the picture, I think the designer may have as well. I have a few ideas for embellishments but I ran out of time this go-round. In proper knitterly fashion, this was presented still damp and blocking. Other knitters understand...

I really enjoyed making this. It was relatively quick and because the brim is doubled it's not too floppy. I'll definitely be making more of them, especially since I have about 10 balls of ecru thread, 4 balls of black, one green and one pale blue. It may be an Ecru Hat Christmas all around.

1 comment:

noricum said...

Nice hat! I really should have done something similar with the increases on my last hat. I don't like the pointy bits. :( (And I'm too lazy to rip and redo, especially with the way I wove in the ends.)