Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Last books of 2008

62. Thunderstruck - Erik Larson. The story of The Crippen murder/chase and the discovery of wireless communication, all intertwined like Larson did with the Chicago World Fair and HH Holmes in The Devil in the White City. Larson is always interesting and I love this period of history, the early 1900's.

63. Key of Light - Nora Roberts

64. Key of Knowledge - Nora Roberts

65. Key of Valor - Nora Roberts. Another trilogy by Roberts. I think I liked the Three Sisters trilogy better, but these were pretty good.

66. A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson. A re-read for the hospital book club.

67. Drowning Ruth - Christina Schwartz. Arizona book club. Interesting but rather predictable.

68. Twilight - Stephanie Meyers. An unscheduled re-read to prepare for reading...

69. New Moon - Stephanie Meyers. Edward, still creepy and kind of an asshole. And Bella is annoying. I'm definitely on Team Jacob, at least for this book.

70. They Psychology of Joss Whedon: an unauthorized exploration of Buffy, Angel and Firefly - Joy Davidson, Editor. Pretty in-depth for a pop psychology book. If you have a deep interest in either psychology or Whedon, you might like it. Casual fans of either should probably skip it.

71. Stolen Innocence: my story of growing up in a polygamous sect, becoming a teenage bride and breaking free of Warren Jeffs - Elissa Wall with Lisa Pulitzer. Depressing, thought-provoking, sad and hopeful. I'm slightly fascinated by the Fundamentalist Mormons and this book gave a good behind-the-scenes picture of them.

72. The Colorado Kid - Stephen King. Not good. At least it was short.

73. Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series). OK, but True Blood is almost directly pulled from this so it didn't have much new in it. I'm starting the next in the series soon and then I'm make a judgment if I like the stories or not.

74. Eclipse - Stephanie Meyers. And now Jacob pisses me off. I give up. The only decent person in the books is Charlie and even he's a bit off.

75. Breaking Dawn - Stephanie Meyers. Really? Half-vampire babies? "True love" imprinting on infants? Dental c-sections? The name Renesmee? Really?!? Oy.

76. The Dewey Decimal System of Love - Josephine Carr. Got it just for the title, which turned out to be the best thing about the book. Had potential but it just got weird.

77. Midnight Sun - Stephanie Meyers. I had to do it, just for completion sake. At least Edward realized he was being a creepy stalker, so that's something...

78. The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America - Bill Bryson. Technically I haven't finished this one yet, but I only have 20 pages to go so I'll finish it tonight unless something unforeseen happens (premature New Year's Eve revelry, for example).

So, 78 books for the year. Not bad considering I was working full time AND had satellite tv for the first time in 9 years. Maybe next year I'll give up sleep and finally get to 100.

Happy New Year to all. Lucy and I hope 2009 treats you kindly.

4 comments:

Heather said...

And I'm living with Twilight addict. Who read all the books in 2 weeks then went on to see the movie 8 times.

The books were ok, Bella got on my last nerve throughout. Renesemee?? WTF? And the infant imprinting is disturbing.

Happy New Year :)

Mel said...

78 books is nothing to shake a stick at! I think you should get credit for all the stuff you have to read at work. That would surely take you too 100. Have still not read any Twilight books but I love your commentary! Happy New Year. I'll be passing out dimes and thinking of you :-)

Stephanie said...

congrats on all those books :) As for the twilight nonsense, I read em, got royally ticked off at all the characters and may have been tempted to throw the books across the room several times...but since they belong to the library, I opted for being verbal with them instead :P


Happy New Year :D

Letoya said...

I love the Southern Vampire Series. The books are definately better than the TV show. The books are well written mysteries. The TV show twisted the original mystery plot and not in a good way. I like the change-up with Lafayette's character. Pam's charater is spot on and they have that huge beefcake guy playing Erik. I can watch him tower above people while scowling all day.