Friday, June 17, 2005

Charity Begins at Home (and ends up in Africa)

I am calling an official end to my portion of the Mozambique scarf project. I could keep going stash-wise but other projects are getting jealous.

Image hosted by

Final count: 4 scarves, 3 hats. Everything is rather on the girly side which wasn't my intent but I'm not sorry it worked out that way. Kelli will receive them on Tuesday and they will be winging across the ocean soon after that. If anyone wants to donate some items, hop over to Kelli's blog and she has all the deets.

I was able to exit and enter my house today with out any bird incidi (incidenteses?). I think Andrea's right and there's a nest in the bushes outside my front door which is why they've been around so much. But I also think they are using the porch as a short cut since it's right on a corner. The first time it happened, I was turning the corner and so was the bird (from the other direction) and I think I'm just lucky I didn't end up with a mouth full of LBJ. That's Little Brown Jobber, for the non-ornithologically inclined among you. And yes, that's the proper name.

I've had a couple requests for the Crochet Clapotis pattern. Unfortunately there really isn't one. I surfed around to find the best spread-out picture of a knit version that I could find and then just winged it. But here's a bit of what I did (taken from the email I sent to Erin).

It's all double crochets.
Increased and decreased portions (i.e. the ends) were + or - one stitch each row. Possibly +/- 2 at the very ends.

The pattern stitch: 6 dc, ch 2, 6 dc, ch 2, etc.

The next row: Pattern stitch but dc 1 stitch into the ch 2 space then make another ch 2. Or (if you're coming back on a row) dc until 1 stitch before the ch 2 space, ch 2, dc 1 into ch 2 space.

In other words, every row moves the hole over 1 stitch. There should still be 6 dc's between each hole. At the edges, I kept careful count as to when to start/end another hole. I put a chart at the bottom that may help.

The dc into the ch 2 space was done "around" the chain and not into the chain.

This created pretty square holes.

I know with the knitted clap, the holes made by the dropped stitches were closer than what I ended up with. With my yarn (Berroco Cotton Twist) I went with the dc and whatever hook I used because I liked the drape that way. Single crochets would make the holes closer but you would probably have to alter their diagonal progression.

Length: I just worked until I ran out of yarn.
I put a sc edging around it because I had a lot of ends from the stripes and no good place to weave them in.

Also, I did stripes to try and mimic the knitted one's crossing stripes (from the variegation color changes and the dropped stitches). I couldn't get that exactly since I wasn't really working on the diagonal but it was close. A variegated yarn should accomplish the same thing, but I've also seen solid color claps that were very pretty.

XXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX since you can't start a row with a hole, 7 dc
X XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXX can't start a row with a hole so Ch 1 space
XXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX X ch 1 space at end

I used these pictures for reference since there were so many angles.

I know all that is pretty confusing. If anyone has questions, etc. Email me or leave a comment and I'll try to help.

Homework calls.


Luscious Gracious said...

Awesome work for Africa! Way to go!

African Kelli said...

Pam, they are BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much. I look forward to meeting you tonight.