Saturday, September 03, 2005

More books

2 more books to add to the list.

48. Pope Joan - Donna Woolfolk Cross. For book club. In the 9th century a wman disguised as a man became a monk and eventually ended up in Rome and became the Pope. This was a novel, but there's been a myth about this for years and some of the historical evidence points to it being true. It was really interesting and reminded me of the Mists of Avalon books, a time period thing I think.

49. We Need to Talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver. Written as a series of letters to her husband, the main character lays out the story of her son, his childhood and the horrific crime he committed. I've read this before and the ending still surprised me. It's disturbing but I think I'd recommend it.

In other news, I'm still working on the pink shawl and the flowers are still off the felted bag. Next project on the list is a baby sweater.

I'm also getting very frustrated with one of my classes. We need to read a medical biography and our advisor had given us a heads up about it so we could maybe get it read during the break. I sent her my choice and she never got back to me. At this point I've sent in 6 more choices and have yet to hit gold (two people can't do the same book and they have a definite type of book in mind). There's more, but it's all just making me feel like this class could be a disorganized mess. I hope I'm wrong.

This morning was supposed to be spent at the City Cafe but upon arrival we found it closed. Next stop was Lux which was too crowded and the restaurant next door was closed and we needed real food. We ended up at AJ's supermarket, out on the patio listening to live jazz. Had it been a little bit cooler it would have been perfect. And the jazz was pretty good too. Do you remember the trumpet player that was the Diamondbacks good luck charm during the World Series? It was that guy.

Hopefully City Cafe will be open again soon and hopefully I'll have time to go.

No comments: