Thursday, October 12, 2006

Books and ...

Books

68. A Girl Named Zippy; Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana - Haven Kimmel. This is an amusing book, but what amazes me is that she (Haven/Zippy) can remember things from her childhood in such detail. I know I'm not the bestest rememberer ever, but I don't remember last week in as well as she remembers 30 years ago.

69. The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards. Book club book for October. A doctor delivers his wife's twins, realizes one has Down Syndrome and decides to tell his wife the baby died. He sends the baby to an institution with his nurse who decides to keep the baby after seeing the condition of the institution. The book then follows everyone (wife, husband, nurse, son, daughter) for the next 30 years. The book did a good job depicting children with Down Syndrome and the social changes that have surrounded them but I didn't like it all that much. I spent 4 years of my life dealing with Down's and stillbirths and while some of my memories of that time are good, many of them are bad. Surprisingly, it's not the genetic disorders and death that was the bad part but rather the rest of my life at the time. But it's all tied up together so the book made me remember too much.

70. Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression- Brooke Shields. She describes what the depths of a depression feels like and, believe me, it rings true. And she's honest about the smart and dumb things she did to get out of it which can do nothing but help anyone going through the same thing.

Other

Part way through un-named Dad present - part 2.
Still contemplating un-named Pat present - part 2.
Started another blue shawl because the triangle one was too small and will be gifted to some small person at some point in the future.
In the throughs of a really dumb crush.
Made a pumpkin.
Spending time tomorrow in the Foundations and Grants Collection at the Phoenix Public Library because I'm cool like that.
My boobs hurt.
House needs to be cleaned and organized because the carpets are getting cleaned on Monday and my sister is coming out on the 25th for birthday weekend (yay!)
Just received the OBOS Menopause book in the mail (for website stuff, not for personal use. God, I hope not. I'm only almost 36. Then again...)
Seeing the Foo Fighters at the Fair on Saturday.
Probably going to eat a fried twinkie there too.
Planning on spending Sunday in a sugar coma while simultaneously cleaning the house.
May possible post pictures someday but don't hold your breath.

3 comments:

Deneen said...

I have that book Zippy and have had it for about 5 years, should read it.

Why does your boob hurt?

I wanna see some pictures!

Sarah said...

I want photos too and am wondering why your boob hurts.

I have yet to try a fried twinkie...tempting if we go to the fair.

Luscious Gracious said...

The very fact that you mention a crush and sore boobs in the same paragraph/list makes me fear the best. Pregnant, Pam?
Hope your mom doesn't read this....Bring me a Fried Coca-Cola, please. Or a Fried Fried. Do they make that?
Love,
kkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkiiiiii