Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bookity Book Book

59. Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil -Deborah Rodriguez and Kristin Ohlson. Book club selection for July. It was an interesting book but I was too distracted by Rodriquez's stupidity to get much enjoyment out of it. The information about how women live in Afghanistan was cool but the way the author went about starting and running the school made me crazy. She's very different from me, that's all I'm gonna say.

60. Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer. I've just started watching the first season of Big Love and this seemed like a good reference text (hee). Actually, it was quite informative with regards to Mormonism (of which I am woefully ignorant considering I live near the biggest concentration outside of Utah) and the fundamental polygamists (of which there is a large number in the north part of AZ).

61. Blink - Malcolm Gladwell. I read this one in about 2 hours. It's about trusting your instincts which Gladwell doesn't think are instincts so much as seeing and comprehending things you don't realize you're seeing...if that makes any sense.

62. Dave Barry's Greatest Hits - Dave Barry. I've been reading him just about forever since he started out with a column in the local paper where I grew up. He makes me snort. This one is sort of dated since it was published in 1988 but, oddly enough, the George Bush jokes are still good.

63. Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch - Haywood Smith. This is almost (but not quite) a chick lit book about a 50 year-old newly divorced woman who has to move back in with her parents because her former husband lost all their money. It's very funny and touching and reminds me of Crazy Aunt Purl (southern and smart-ass will do that). It also seems predictive of my future since I'm starting to get an inkling I'm going to end up living in my parent's basement at some point during this job search. Except I'm under 40, not divorced, my parent's aren't (that) loony and I'll be travelling with a dog instead of with hot flashes. Other than that, it's just like me.

64. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling. Along with 90% of the rest of the US, I've completed the Potter series. I picked it up early afternoon on Saturday and finished it about 24 hours later. There were short breaks to see a friend's art exhibit, teach Mel how to make a granny square and watch The Princess Diaries (I got sucked in..). I'm happy with the way it ended and I'm happy that thousands of kids spent the entire weekend reading. Books rule!

65. Firefly: The Official Companion Volume 2 - I finally watched the last 3 episode and hence finally finished the book. Firefly also rules! As does Nathan Fillion!

66. 2nd Chance - James Patterson. I needed something easy after Harry and they don't come much easier than Patterson. It's kind of like a sorbet for your brain to clean it out before reading something with actual flavor.

I'm going to re-read the Potter series (yes, even the ones I just read a month ago) and then I'm planning on re-reading the Dark Tower series and then...who knows. It'll probably be time to start the next book club book. Another memoir, hopefully she's not as stupid as the last one.

No comments: