Saturday, June 24, 2006

Books

Lots of plane time = lots of books.

34. Why Girls are Weird - Pamela Ribon. This was a re-read (for at least the 4th time) but any book that can make me laugh out loud and later sob is worth it. Luckily I didn't read this one on the plane, it would have made me a most annoying seatmate.

35. Complications - A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science - Atul Gawande. Dr. Gawande was the keynote speaker at the MLA convention this year. I stumbled across his book at the Pittsburgh airport (starting point of the most-time-challenged-flights-ever TM)and I'm glad I bought it. True medical cases showing doctors how they really are.

36. The Confessions of Mycroft Holmes - Marcel Theroux. Worst. Book. Ever. I'm contemplating burying it in the back yard so it can't contaminate any other books. I love Sherlock Holmes with a deep and abiding passion (Mycroft is Holmes' smarter, lazier brother) which is why I picked it up but the blurb misled me. Minimally about Mycroft, majorly about crap.

37. Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult. Slightly twinkie-esque but very good.

38. The Knitting Goddess - Deborah Bergman. The history of knitting, spinning and weaving was fascinating but I really don't like pattern books without pictures. And hand-drawn, black and white, no-detail pictures don't count. It's possible I'd like to make something in this book but I couldn't visualize anything enough to tell.

No comments: